Tuesday 10 September 2013

My favourite film of summer 2013


In 2001, Disney released Monsters Inc. The film at the time was said to be one of Disney’s greatest achievements. After watching the film for the first time, I can always remember thinking that I wanted more. Every time I watched it I didn’t want it to end. I was so engrossed in the movie; I just wanted it to carry on. Twelve years later, in 2013, the long awaited prequel; Monsters University came to the big screen. Although Monsters University wasn’t a follow-on story from the first movie, the prequel tells how Sully and Mike became such good friends and also why Randle despised of the pair so much. I think that’s what gave the film the ‘must see’ factor for me.

The main reason why I really liked this film was because of its pure, clean-cut quality! From the animation it’s self to the vibrancy and colours that made the film so appealing. I really can’t fault it. Every detail had been thought out so deeply, the film wasn’t too long or too short, the storyline was constantly entertaining and the mood of the film changed so frequently, from highs to lows that it kept me on the edge of my seat. I can honestly say I did not take my eyes of the screen for a single second!

Closely followed by DreamWorks, Disney’s animations are my favourite. The reason why is because, Disney produce so many high quality, animated films, that never fall short of peoples expectations, just like Monsters University which was destined for success. There’s just something magical about every movie that Disney produce and that’s why I loved Monsters University so much. It’s all about that ‘warm fuzzy’ magical feeling and wanting to be apart of the movie.

When watching any film I always look for the subliminal messages and the morals behind the storylines. Monsters University teaches you that everybody is equal and even if you are just the ‘Out cast’ you shouldn’t let anybody stand in your way just like mike didn’t. Another Moral to the ‘Monsters University’ story is, even though everybody around you seems to be some what better than you, don’t ever stop being yourself.

Another aspect of Monsters University that I liked was the little elements carried through from the first film into this one. For example, Mike always gets his face cut out of photos in the first movie, which he doesn’t seem to be bothered about, in fact he’s so ecstatic, I don’t think he really cares. They carried that through into the next movie with mikes photo on his student card. Also in the first movie, the warm up mike does with sully every morning is actually what mike used to train his ‘O.K’ team back in University for ‘The Scare Games’.

All in all, Monsters University has been my favourite film of summer 2013. It made me laugh, it had me on the edge of my seat, I had been waiting for the film for twelve years and it was so much better than I expected it to be, even though I had already set my standards high anyway. In my opinion, Monsters University is an A-class, five star movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment